Monday, January 6, 2014

The Choice

The choice referred to in this story is the choice of forcing the medication down his daughter's throat or letting her take it on her own. When I first began to read the short story "The Choice", I didn't quite understand where the story was going. I was appalled reading they were forcing their child to drink poison. Until I got to the third paragraph, I finally got a little more understand for the situation and circumstances. I began to feel emotional as I continued to read on. I went from thinking "Wow, these people are crazy" to "Man, these people have it rough". The way the short story controlled and manipulated my emotions was unreal. The father writing the story really got across his powerful message. I started to tear up several times throughout the story and starting balling when I read the little girl saying she was never going to be eight. The fact that a five year old little girl knows what is wrong with her and knows what will happen to her is just heart breaking. I couldn't image being in her position. I do agree with the little girl, she should be able to play with the toy just because of her state of health and life expectancy. If I thought I might not live till 30, I would probably want to start traveling the world, get married and start a family even though I am very young. Suffering is a necessary condition of life and love. You feel the authors pain and struggle. No human being should have to see their children die or even have to think about the fact of their child not living past a certain age.

No comments:

Post a Comment