Monday, November 4, 2013

Vocabulary #9

Ultimate: maximum; decisive; conclusive
Ex- I found the ultimate christmas present for my mom. 

Interactive: influencing or having an effect on each other
Ex- We always tend to have interactive conversations.

Principle: a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning
Ex- Happiness is the key principle to living a great life. 

Guidance: advice or information aimed at resolving a problem or difficulty, esp. as given by someone in authority
Ex- I go to my mom for guidance when i'm lost.

Collaboration: the action of working with someone to produce or create something
Ex- I'm hoping to meet with a student from SJ to do some collaboration for a write up about the shield. 

Formative: serving to form something, esp. having a profound and lasting influence on a person's development
Ex- Everyone makes high school out to be this huge formative part of your life.

Summative: the process of adding things together
Ex-This article was summative to the other one.

Racism: the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races
Ex- Racism is a world wide issue 

Intelligence: the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills
Ex- Intelligence is attractive in a person 

Hyperbolic: exaggerated
Ex- Her reaction was hyperbolic and unnecessary.

Consent: permission for something to happen or agreement to do something
Ex- I need my mother's consent in order to do anything. 

Doctrine: a belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a church, political party, or other group
Ex- The bible is a doctrine for Christian people.

Hunch: a feeling or guess based on intuition rather than known facts
Ex- I had this hunch that he was hiding something from me. 

Predominant: present as the strongest or main element
Ex- Blue eyes are very predominant in my family. 

Discretion: the quality of behaving or speaking in such a way as to avoid causing offense or revealing private information
Ex- She told me discreetly that I had something on my pants. 

Provision: the action of providing or supplying something for use
Ex- My mom always buys my provisions

Seizure: the action of capturing someone or something using force
Ex- The hunter seized the lion. 

Warrant: a document issued by a legal or government official authorizing the police or some other body to make an arrest, search premises, or carry out some other action relating to the administration of justice
Ex- The felon had a warrant out for his arrest. 

Infraction: a violation or infringement of a law, agreement, or set of rules
Ex- Not wearing a seat belt is an infraction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment