Thursday, February 27, 2014

Literature Analysis

Non-fiction Analysis

Topics and/or Events
1.    The book Beautiful Stranger is about the investigation for the mysterious suicide of Kate Morgan, who checked into the Hotel del Coronado under the alias of “Lottie A. Bernard.”
2.    I think the author chose to write about Kate Morgan to maybe find out more about her identity and reasoning behind her suicide.
3.    I visited the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego this past summer. I heard about the hotel’s history and the story about Kate Morgan on a tour of the hotel. Her ghost supposedly still haunts the Hotel del Coronado till this day. There have been many witnesses, hotel staff and guests that have encountered her spirit.  I actually stood in the area her body was found and I wanted to know so much more about the whole thing.
4.    I found the book really realistic because I personally heard the stories from employees at the hotel before I purchased the book. I made many connections with events that happened in the book. I remember walking down the halls ways and passing by the rooms exactly how it was all mentioned in the book.

People
1.    The author didn’t write any of his or her own personal interpretations. If I were to meet Kate Morgan in real life, I feel she would seem exactly as she is described in the story and by the present hotel staff. The staff back wen this was all going on really observed her while she was stay because of her independent traveling and mysterious behavior. The author’s tone is very ominous. The author really wanted to make the reader sense the mystery and maybe find out more about Kate’s past and why her ghost still haunts the hotel today.
2.    Kate is probably the best character to describe. She is such an interesting character. Her presence was so off-putting to all of those she came in contact with. She seems very elegant and proper. She was always dressed fancy, but she was always alone. Woman never traveled alone back in 1892. Kate was ill and told employees she was suffering from stomach cancer. She definitely kept her problems to herself and put on an act for everyone. No one can come to think why she had taken her life.
If I were to write her as a fictional character, I would just rewrite the story after her shooting herself. Maybe the person who finds, stubbles upon a zombie! The bullet reacted with her brain and took over her whole body and she would start attacking people.

Another character I’m going to describe is A.S. Gomer who was the hotel employee that tended to Kate’s needs while she was staying at the hotel. He was very helpful and friendly towards Kate, sometimes having to bring her blankets or towels at odd hours of the night.

To make him a fictional character, I would make A.S. Gomer ghost himself. He would be able to convince people he was a human, so no one ever knew. He would be the reasoning behind Kate’s death. I would make him a murdering ghost. He took the gun to Kate’s head that drizzling evening. He’s even the ghost that haunts the Hotel del Coronado to this day!

3.    Kate is so interesting to me. Her actual life is so unknown to this day and the reasoning behind her death is unknown as well. I understand why the author would have wanted to write this book. Reading this book makes me want to find out more about her. I wrote about the bellhop because he was the employee and person who saw Kate Morgan the most. He didn’t communicate with her much to be as professional as possible. He definitely knew there was something odd about Mrs. Morgan from the get go.

No comments:

Post a Comment